65th Annual Thomas Alva Edison Kiwanis
Regional Science & Engineering Fair
presented by Sony Electronics, Inc.
Februrary 18-25, 2023
Science Fair Overview
Since 1958, our Regional Science & Engineering Fair (RSEF) program challenges thousands of students from across Southwest Florida to go beyond their classroom studies and pursue independent project-based research. Students work independently or in teams to address questions in the fields of Computer Science, Environmental Science, Medicine & Health, Chemistry, Biology, and a half dozen other categories.
The Thomas Alva Edison Kiwanis Regional Science & Engineering Fair (RSEF) is an affiliate of the Society for Science & the Public, and selects projects which go on to compete in other state and national competitions, including the prestigious Florida State Science & Engineering Fair (Florida SSEF) and the Intel International Science & Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF). But whether or not a student wins, every student is celebrated and encouraged by the hundreds of other attending students, parents, teachers, mentors, sponsors, judges, and members of the public.
Our 2023 Thomas Alva Edison Kiwanis Regional Science & Engineering Fair will be held VIRTUALLY February 18-25, 2023.
Students will present projects in Junior (6th – 8th grade) and Senior (9th – 12th grade) Divisions in multiple areas of study. Fair participants are drawn from public, private, parochial and home-schools in Charlotte and Lee Counties. The VIRTUAL Awards Ceremony will premier on the @LeeSchools YouTube Channel in early March 2022. An In-Person Awards Program is in the works and will be announced at a later date.
State Science and Engineering Fair (SSEF) of Florida: Selected winners in the Junior and Senior Divisions are eligible to compete at this event in March 2023.
Broadcom MASTERS: Selected winners in the Junior Division receive a nomination to pursue entry in this prestigious event.
Regeneron Science Talent Search (STS): Any student enrolled in and attending his or her last year of secondary school may apply.
International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF): Selected Grand Prize recipients advance to an all-expenses-paid trip to ISEF in Atlanta, GA in May 2023.
Why Enter an Edison Fairs Competition?
- All students have an opportunity to present their work to the public, other students, and some of the approximately 300 category and special award judges.
- All participants receive a certificate of participation.
- Best of Fair, First place, Second place, Third Place, and Honorable Mention merit prizes are awarded in the Junior and Senior Divisions of Regional Science Fair.
- Projects in the Junior and Senior Divisions are selected to be eligible to compete in the State Science & Engineering Fair (SSEF).
- Selected Grand Prize recipients advance to an all-expenses-paid trip to the International Science & Engineering Fair (ISEF).
- Selected winners in the Junior Division are eligible to further compete in the Broadcom MASTERS Competition in Washington DC.
- In addition, 30+ area companies, private, professional and governmental organizations present Special Awards based on each organization’s criteria.